March 28, 2005

Take two

As I was saying earlier, there is talk of drawers. And schedules of which house to stay at. And of futures in which the only place we stay is our OWN, and how that is a ways off and let's not take it for granted that we'll get there. When we first started dating, for some oddball (okay Erinian that only my subconscious understands) reason I decided that at three months of being together it would be okay to give GK a drawer in my house to keep his stuff in. Yes he's been staying there for about a month now, and yes has been keeping stuff there for a while, but currently it resides in a neat little pile on the floor next to "his side" of the bed. Yesterday was the three month mark. Today I'll have to go to Walmart (or perhaps tomorrow I'll go to Bi-Mart since I like it better) and get a plastic drawer that will slide under the bed. (I have no room in my dresser, are you kidding?) He is currently puttering around in his room (the location from which I am blogging today) trying to figure out where to make space for my stuff. See, last night we decided to make a schedule--three days a week we'll stay at my Mom's house (aka my house) and three days a week we'll stay at his Mom's house (aka his house) and the last day will be a tossup or spent at our respective houses. It feels a bit like being a "divorced couple" or something, trying to manage our time between both families. I don't know how married people do it. I'm starting to understand the whole "get married, move to a new state" idea. I think, though, that it will be good to have this schedule because then I won't be wondering all day if I need to call my Mom for a ride home or if somebody will be coming to my house or if we'll go to his house and end up staying until a billion o'clock and then going to my house. Really it solves a lot of problems..... but it feels oddly grownup in a not quite grown up kind of way.